Highlighterr General Discussion

Coordinator
Apr 24, 2010 at 5:29 AM

Hi, if you have anything to say, please say it here..

May 17, 2010 at 2:00 PM

I tried using the Highlighterr extension in Visual C++ 2010 Express, which it fails to install. Looking through the file, I noticed that the only supported product was the Pro version. I compared this to some other extensions that supported more products. I don't see any reason that the Premium and Ultimate version shouldn't be supported. Can you add those 2, as well as, support for the C++ Express? I've included the XML that was in an extension that supported more editions:

<SupportedProducts>
      <VisualStudio Version="10.0">
        <Edition>Ultimate</Edition>
        <Edition>Premium</Edition>
        <Edition>Pro</Edition>
        <Edition>Express_All</Edition>
        <Edition>IntegratedShell</Edition>
      </VisualStudio>
    </SupportedProducts>

Coordinator
May 18, 2010 at 2:08 AM

Thanks for this,

I've been meaning to do some testing on other versions of VS. I'm guessing that higher versions automatically get supported, since I think it was only set for Pro version, and it works fine on Ultimate. I'll add them all anyway into the next version, I'll try get a new release out this week sometime (my other projects have been taking over a bit lately..).

May 18, 2010 at 6:24 PM
Thanks for doing this. Would you please post here when you have added them?
Coordinator
May 31, 2010 at 10:11 AM
I updated the release with this and some extra things I've been working on. Hope it all works for you.
Jun 5, 2010 at 8:23 PM

I just want to say thanks for this extension. I can't believe that VS10 doesn't include proper syntax coloring in C++ with its new intellisense engine. I'm mostly a C# guy and I'm really happy to have the same level of editor support with syntax coloring in C++ too. Thanks again.

Coordinator
Jun 8, 2010 at 2:23 PM

No worries!

You're definitely not alone there, with all the 'hype' about the new intellisense engine, I was dissapointed, even confused for a moment, that the text coloring had no more functionality than VS2008! I also mainly use C#, so I'm used to all the bells and whistles that go with a first-class intellisense system. To not have it all in C++ results in me doing more keystrokes, and so C++ seems more tedious than it should be..

Aug 5, 2010 at 8:26 AM
Edited Aug 5, 2010 at 8:28 AM
Hi, I too am using the express edition of C++ and C# and use both languages a lot, so first of this seems great... :)

I have installed version 1.6 on Visual C++ 2010 express, and it installs fine, and I see entries in the fonts window for "Symbol Definition" and "User Types" for example.
However there simply is no extra highlighting in my c++ files. Is this expected for the express edition?

For testing purposes I also installed it on a non-express version and there the extra highlighting did appear as expected.
Having seen it I would of course really like it to work on my express editions as well...

Thanks in advance.
Coordinator
Aug 6, 2010 at 8:36 AM

Hi, and thanks for the comment..

I haven't actually tested the extension with the express edition, but I can't see any reason why it shouldn't work. I'll install express on my other PC here over the weekend (I really should have it as a test environment for Highlighterr anyway...).

I'm guessing that you already restarted the IDE a couple of times, on my development PC whenever I reinstall the extension I have to restart the IDE twice before the highlighting becomes active.

Only other reason I can think of that might cause it to not work is the solution's SDF file. Make sure that the SDF file has the same name as the solution file, since Highlighterr just opens the SDF directly. I thought I added in an error message box popup in the case that the SDF file wasn't found though (telling you that highlighting isn't active because of the SDF). I guess it's even possible that express edition solutions don't have SDF files? I thought it was common to VC++ 2010. I do know that it's possible to change the SDF file and path for the solution, but Highlighterr currently can't read this info, so highlighting won't be active in a custom SDF file setup.

Hope this helps.. I'll let you know if I do find any issues with express edition myself.

Aug 6, 2010 at 10:19 AM
Edited Aug 6, 2010 at 12:21 PM

Hi again,

I have done a little more (and better) reseach, and I was mistaken about the entries in the fonts window, there are no entries the start with "Highlighterr" in the express edition and they are there for the non express editions. Also there is no highlighting and no context menu item when I right click in the code window.

So I am now starting to think that the express edition does install the extension, but simply will not load extensions. I kind of hope I am wrong here, because else it might never be able to work on the express editions.

FYI: I do have a SDF file, and it has the same name as the solution and is in the same directory as the solution file, I even deleted it to have it recreated just to be sure it was not corrupt in some way.

Also I have run the express IDE with /log to log into the activity log and there I get the following message:

<entry>
    <record>108</record>
    <time>2010/08/06 12:11:50.831</time>
    <type>Information</type>
    <source>Extension Manager</source>
    <description>Successfully loaded extension...</description>
    <path>C:\Documents and Settings\***\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\VCExpress\10.0\Extensions\dexy\Highlighterr\1.6\</path>
</entry>
<
entry> <record>109</record> <time>2010/08/06 12:11:50.831</time> <type>Information</type> <source>Extension Manager</source> <description>Extension is enabled...</description> <path>C:\Documents and Settings\***\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\VCExpress\10.0\Extensions\dexy\Highlighterr\1.6\</path> </entry>

So you would think it was being loaded correctly... weird... :s

Coordinator
Aug 7, 2010 at 1:12 PM

Hmm, that is strange that you are getting the log message saying it's successfully loaded and enabled, yet no highlighting.. It's also strange that the Highlighterr colours aren't coming up in the fonts window - they should get added when the extension is first installed. Maybe something went wrong with the install procedure (try reinstall), or maybe even it's having permissions issues when trying to write those entries in (try install/run as administrator)? I can imagine that you won't get any highlighting if the highlighter can't find those font settings.

Maybe to shed some light on the matter is this warning I noticed I'm getting whenever I do a build:

Warning 1 VSIX targets Express Versions of Visual Studio but VSIX contains non-template content. C:\Projects\Highlighterr\source.extension.vsixmanifest Highlighterr

I can't tell exactly what's causing that warning, but I think it's probably got something to do with the references the project is using (when I double click on the warning it just shows me the .vsixmanifest file).

I still haven't gotten around to downloading and installing the express edition yet, might get around to it tonight sometime or tomorrow. Hopefully I can reproduce the problem with a fresh install of VCExpress..

Will keep you posted with any discoveries...

Coordinator
Aug 8, 2010 at 3:43 AM

Well, not so good news I'm afraid.

In the Express edition EULA there is this line:

"6. SCOPE OF LICENSE. The software is licensed, not sold. This agreement only gives you some rights to use the software. Microsoft reserves all other rights. Unless applicable law gives you more rights despite this limitation, you may use the software only as expressly permitted in this agreement. In doing so, you must comply with any technical limitations in the software that only allow you to use it in certain ways. You may not work around any technical limitations in the software.  For example, Microsoft has technically limited or disabled extensibility for the software, and so you may not extend the software by, among other things, loading or injecting into the software any non-Microsoft add-ins, macros, or packages; modifying the software registry settings; or adding features or functionality equivalent to that found in other Visual Studio products."

The part that says "For example, Microsoft has technically limited or disabled extensibility..." pretty much sums up why this is happening. Extensions for Express editions can only be "Controls" or "Templates", of which Highlighterr is neither. It's classified as a "Tool". You'll notice that in the Express edition, if you click on "Tools" in the online gallery part of the extension manager, you'll get 0 results. Indeed, I couldn't even find Highlighterr in the online gallery inside extension manager - I suspect Microsoft has filtered out these listings because of the EULA limitation.

So, it's pretty safe to say that Highlighterr will never be able to run on an Express edition of VS. -cry-

Aug 9, 2010 at 8:08 AM
That is a shame indeed, and I was beginning to suspect it was something like that...

Oh well, at least its clear for everyone now.

Thanks for your time to investigate it,
and keep up the great work for all the non-express users.