Some thoughts about colors, settings and network files

Mar 23, 2011 at 3:28 PM
Edited Mar 23, 2011 at 3:29 PM

Hi! I like your Highlighterr extension, but there are several things which I think can be improved:

• It doesn't work with network files (neither UNC paths nor mapped network drives).
  • There are some color features which I'd really like to see:
    • Different colors for local vs. global vs. external symbols would be great
    • Different colors for function calls and function declarations, maybe
    • Different colors for different visibility: global vs. class static vs. class member function/variable, public vs. private vs. protected access
  • I think the MSVS2010 syntax coloring options dialog is really bad. It is therefore also really bad to include your own settings with the standard settings. I think it would be much more useful to include a custom dialog in which ALL C++ colors can be changed, maybe with your own colors marked with a little "(hle)" or similar. I find this somewhat better than the MSVS dialog: http://www.java2html.de/eclipse_preferences.png, and still better is this http://lh4.ggpht.com/_pJ4HkzTKiOA/SRICoxOuVHI/AAAAAAAACVY/3tXnCYWps8s/ARC_SQL_Properties2%5B6%5D.jpg -- but if it would be far too much work to design a new dialog, maybe you could re-use the existing one, just duplicate it and ONLY show C++ colors in one of them. I think the list is completely overcrowded with XML stuff and whatnot.

I'm looking forward to hearing from you about these suggestions. Mostly the networking issue, really.

KTHXBYE

Mar 26, 2011 at 9:21 AM
Hi Felix,
Thanks for the suggestions.. I agree about the VS fonts and colors box being overcrowded - It would be possible to do something like you suggested (like what VAX does), but at the time I felt it more consistent with VS to add the highlighterr colours to the list (it's what the text highlighter sample app that I based highlighterr off does). I'll have a think about it, maybe both options can be employed..
I'll be sure to look into the network file issue. I've been meaning to look into a similar issue I discovered as well.
I also agree that it could do with having some extra colour options as you suggested, my only concern with that at the moment is that I'd probably have to upgrade the word detector engine to be able to achieve it (this is along the lines of differentiating between variable names and type/etc names) - at the moment it just picks a type given the 'word' and colours it as it sees fit - something I've been wanting to upgrade for quite a while. Will probably take me a bit of work though, so will need to wait until I get a good chunk of time to work on it.
Unfortunately at the moment I'm interstate for work (not at home) so I don't really have the required dev tools for highlighterr with me. It will probably be at least 1 month before I get a chance to look at highlighterr again. Maybe sooner if I can manage to get the tools I need on my laptop here..
Until then, feel free to download the source and modify, if you come up with any simple solutions to these issues just let me know and I should be able to put them into the main release quickly.
Regards,
dexy

To: [email removed]
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2011 07:29:01 -0700
Subject: Some thoughts about colors, settings and network files [highlighterr:250863]

Hi! I like your Highlighterr extension, but there are several things which I think can be improved:
  • It doesn't work with network files (neither UNC paths nor mapped network drives).
  • There are some color features which I'd really like to see:
    • Different colors for local vs. global vs. external symbols would be great
    • Different colors for function calls and function declarations, maybe
    • Different colors for different visibility: global vs. class static vs. class member function/variable, public vs. private vs. protected access
  • I think the MSVS2010 syntax coloring options dialog is really bad. It is therefore also really bad to include your own settings with the standard settings. I think it would be much more useful to include a custom dialog in which ALL C++ colors can be changed, maybe with your own colors marked with a little "(hle)" or similar. I find this somewhat better than the MSVS dialog: http://www.java2html.de/eclipse_preferences.png, and still better is this http://lh4.ggpht.com/_pJ4HkzTKiOA/SRICoxOuVHI/AAAAAAAACVY/3tXnCYWps8s/ARC_SQL_Properties2%5B6%5D.jpg -- but if it would be far too much work to design a new dialog, maybe you could re-use the existing one, just duplicate it and ONLY show C++ colors in one of them. I think the list is completely overcrowded with XML stuff and whatnot.
I'm looking forward to hearing from you about these suggestions. Mostly the networking issue, really.
KTHXBYE
Read the full discussion online.
To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (highlighterr@discussions.codeplex.com)
To start a new discussion for this project, email highlighterr@discussions.codeplex.com
You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.
Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com