"This extension is not installable on any currently installed products." error while trying to install

Sep 26, 2012 at 9:15 AM

Double-clicked on this .vsix package to install and get this error.

Is Highlighterr still maintained or already a dead project?

Coordinator
Oct 1, 2012 at 12:39 PM

Hi ryniek,

This error message is typical of what happens if you try to install anything like highlighterr onto the express edition Visual Studio products (VS or VC++). Unfortunately there's not much that can be done about that (see the "general discussion" post in here). If it's not an express edition, let me know what one it is and I can see if there may be any other reason for this error happening.

The project isn't dead, but you can probably tell I haven't had much motivation to provide updates for it recently. This is mainly because Visual Studio 2012 essentially makes highlighterr obsolete, since it includes all the code highlighting for c++ out of the box (plus a lot more). If there are any major problems/crashes I do still endeavour to fix them, but I probably won't be adding the new functionality that I dreamt of initially.

-dexy

Oct 6, 2012 at 7:59 PM

Thanks for reply.

Yeah, i'm using Visual C++ 2010 Express.

IMO, there's no need to bother You, but if You really want, fix it.

Looks like i'd have to make my custom color scheme. There's no way i can change to VS 2012, because i'm using WinXP (and plan use it till the lifecycle end) - Visual Studio 2012 needs Win7 or Win8..

Anyway, cheers!

Coordinator
Oct 7, 2012 at 4:52 AM
No worries..
Unfortunately there's nothing that can be done about express editions. Express editions simply do not support VSIX extensions such as this. It's actually part of the reason it's an express edition - the cut down functionality does not allow for extensibility. (Well, what do you expect for free? :)

Also, I thought that WinXP's lifecycle had ended now? They aren't providing any support or updates for it anymore are they?
I strongly recommend upgrade to at least Win7, it's a great OS. Not sure about Win8 yet, haven't had a good use of it yet.
But Visual Studio 2012 has quite a few good features (especially in terms of support for C++), which might make it worth your while upgrading OS..

~dexy

To: [email removed]
Date: Sat, 6 Oct 2012 12:59:14 -0700
Subject: Re: "This extension is not installable on any currently installed products." error while trying to in... [highlighterr:396948]

Thanks for reply.
Yeah, i'm using Visual C++ 2010 Express.
IMO, there's no need to bother You, but if You really want, fix it.
Looks like i'd have to make my custom color scheme. There's no way i can change to VS 2012, because i'm using WinXP (and plan use it till the lifecycle end) - Visual Studio 2012 needs Win7 or Win8..
Anyway, cheers!
Read the full discussion online.
To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (highlighterr@discussions.codeplex.com)
To start a new discussion for this project, email highlighterr@discussions.codeplex.com
You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.
Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com